Monday, March 22, 2010

Lesson #2 from “The Hiding Place”

Corrie and her family hid Jews from the Germans that had taken over Holland.  Corrie became one of the leaders of the “underground” that kept many Jews in hiding.  The underground housed them, forged official documents, arranged stolen food coupons and had secret signals in case of a raid.  The courage they showed was truly God given.

While in the camp, Corrie and Betsie would pray about their future outside the camp.  Betsie was very sure about what they were to do.  They were to have a home for people who were damaged by the war, whether it be from their time in the camps, battle itself or losing their homes, families and lifestyle. 

After Corrie was released from the camp, she tried to go back to working for the underground.  She was given a small assignment and she was terrified.

“Whatever bravery or skill I had ever shown were gifts of God – sheer loans from Him of talents I needed to do a job.  And it was clear from the absence of such skills now, this was no longer His work for me.”

She knew she was to start a home for the war broken people and yet her first thought was to go back to something familiar.  There have been times I have wanted to go back to the familiar.  Why does this seem so appealing?  Because I think I can do it on my own and I won’t need help from my Father?  Familiar is yesterday.  God is about today and tomorrow.  He is a living, moving, progressing God.  He wants us to live and move with Him. 

Corrie did start the home for the people.  Many people experienced healing and restoration there.  She also toured the world, telling her story.

There are many miracles told throughout the book.  You need to read about them and be inspired to stay in God’s “hiding place”, His perfect will.

4 comments:

dar said...

You've inspired me to read Corrie again! Thank you so much. I too believe that anything I have that benefits another can only be from my Heavenly Father for all good comes from Him! I'm desperate for Him.

Pam said...

I love her quote here. So true. Many times people have asked me to do this or that and it's been clear to me that this was not the place for me...even though, like her, it would seem like a 'logical' next step for her, it was not God's next step for her. I love that she could see past her own thoughts on it, to see what God wanted for her.

Kelley said...

The books sounds so amazing and has such a practical application for our lives today.

chippy said...

Becky,
thanks so much for sharing your readings with us & what God is revealing to your through it. I love the Hiding Place (book & movie)... just hearing the music from the movie will make me cry like a baby!
You are so right... familiar is easy & comfortable... 'yesterday' & God is so not that way. If He was we wouldn't need faith or trust would we?!