Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cooking for the Freezer

I like to spend a Saturday or Sunday cooking things to put in the freezer.  It makes eating healthier more convenient and less clean-up at meal times. 

Pizza crust and sauce.  The crust is made with 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups white flour.  I make small individual crusts, bake them and put them in freezer bags. 

 016

Look at all that whole wheat goodness :)

017

The pizza sauce has no sugar.

020 024

Other things I have made ahead and put in the freezer.

Meatloaf (freeze before you cook it, thaw before you bake)

Hummus – I love this stuff and it is a healthy snack.  Tom doesn’t enjoy it so I used to throw half of it away, now I make double batches and freeze it!!

I made a couple of batches of marinade for steak & chicken.  I then put the marinade and fresh meat into freezer bags.  When I took the meat out to thaw, the marinade was already in the bag!!  I didn’t have to gather all the ingredients for marinade and there was no mess :)

I’ve been paying attention to sodium content in the foods I buy.  Ever since the Daniel Fast last year, we eat a lot more canned beans.  I realized I could eliminate all the sodium by cooking dry beans.  I cooked a whole bag of black beans in a crock pot.  I used what I needed for the recipe I was making and then froze the rest. 

I know everyone is busy these days and I like to find the best tasting and most efficient way to prepare meals.

Please share something you do to make your cooking more enjoyable, easier and healthier.

Thanks for reading :)

This post was thrown together.  I needed to write something to get back in the groove of blogging.  Even so, I hope it was helpful to someone. :)

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Hey Girl! Glad you are back blogging. When the weather is nice, it is hard to be inside on the computer.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

What kind of texture does your crust have? I need to make something more healthy and my absent mindedness has produced 6 bags of flour in my pantry! I quickly glanced at the clear glass containers that hold the flour and sugar. The past THREE visits to the store, I have picked up flour... when in fact it is sugar that we are out of! Oi.