Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bloggy Banter – Love it!!

Here is a question that was in the comments of my previous post.

Do I have to continue to miss AND grieve? I thought I read somewhere that grief was a 'spirit'. So, here is the actual question: can't my heart be whole as in Shalom - nothing missing, nothing broken and miss my loved ones beyond all reason of my natural mind AND in that name of Jesus kick the spirit of grief out?

This question was asked because I said in my previous post -

“I know I will miss Peyton & grieve for him until I see him again, but living the way I've been living is not right.

Isaiah 61:3

3To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

In the verse it shows a trade….the garment of praise FOR the spirit of heaviness.  Grief is a spirit and we should not carry it.  When I wrote that email, I was living with the spirit of grief and I knew better.  I can miss Peyton and not be grief stricken.  I can also make the trade again and give away the “garment of praise” and take on the “spirit of heaviness”.  I have made that trade many times, but not as often or for as long.  It is a learning and healing process (31 months so far), not a one time decision. (if you knew me, you would know how much I wish it were a one time decision)

Having said all of that, I will not grieve for Peyton until I see him again.  I will miss him and even cry but the grief will not swallow me up. 

I hope I haven’t gotten too hung up on ‘terminolgy” in this post - missing vs grieving.  I want to be totally honest about what I believe. 

I believe my God is a healing, restorative, loving God and He is bigger than any kind of grief. 

Thanks for the question Dar.

2 comments:

Dar said...

OMG! Thank you so much for reminding me of that verse! Actually the entire passage! God's Word is so amazing! Do you ever sit just holding your Bible? There have been times I've held it while I sleep! Every time I read your blog it ministers to me! You know how I'm always telling you there is a book in here somewhere? I'm thinking a daily devotional! Love you, Beck, and thanks for being the woman God has called you to be - you help the rest of us be US!

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

My God is so great! So strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!